Monday, February 10, 2014

Interning @LHStudents by Heather Womack


Coming into this internship I had no idea what to expect. I never imagined I would be spending the first few weeks of my summer driving all over Springfield and Greenbrier to bring camp forms to kids I hadn’t met, and who didn’t even attend our church.  We knocked on a lot of doors but there is one house call I will never forget.  Tyler and I had been driving around all day signing people up for camp, and we felt done for the day, but knew we had one more kid to sign up. When we went to pick up this camp form the mom and daughter were extremely excited we were there. We gave her the details about camp and when Tyler handed her the scholarship form her mom said, ”See I told you God works in mysterious ways.”  She had given up her 4H camp spot so her younger brother could go, but God made a way so her family could afford both. God not only showed up for that family but he showed up in my life by lifting my spirits and reminding me that it’s not about me, he just chooses to use me.

I have never worked so hard in my life. The days are long and tiring, and there were moments when I never wanted to see another camp form as long as I lived, but once I got to camp and I saw lives changed from a simple house call, it was all worth it. I didn’t realize how much effort you have to put in outside the walls of the office to help a ministry grow. It takes constant communication with students to get them involved, but it’s never anything that I did, it’s always how God used me.  

No comments: